Alternative Eating

going against the grain

Monday, July 03, 2006

Veganics or Vegan-Organic Farming

A friend mentioned the other night that he works on an organic farm and that organic farming is not vegan. I suppose I subconciously had some idea that animals were manipulated for organic farming, but I didn't really know much about it.

Apparently, there is another alternative which is called "Veganics" or "Vegan Organics."

This quote is from the Vegan Organic Network:
"Also called stock-free farming, vegan-organics is a system which avoids all artificial chemical products (synthetic fertiliser, pesticides, growth regulators), genetically modified organisms, animal manures and slaughterhouse by-products (blood, fish meal, bone meal, etc)."

I'm glad there are people who have caught on to this inconsistency in a typical vegan lifestyle.

Another reason to grow my own food... I vow to start a garden this Fall or next Spring (using veganics, of course!).

3 Comments:

  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    Interesting thoughts you are posting here. You mentioned in your first post, wish you luck in your alternative eating adventures... I do. :)

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Maryjamie said…

    thanks dori

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maryjamie, saw you on Leslie's blog!!

    Interesting, I was just talking with someone about this last Sunday at our farmers' market. He wasn't selling there, but has had a restaurant and is now starting 'veganic' farming on a small scale himself - for their own consumption.

    Good luck with your gardening. I do not have much of a green thumb - or perhaps just not enough time to dedicate to it right now. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home